Basketball coaches across the nation wore sneakers January 20-26
Coaches vs. Cancer Suits And Sneakers Week ran from January 20-26, uniting coaches across the country to raise funds and awareness for our fight against cancer. While coaching games during the week, more than 350 NCAA coaches wore sneakers with their game attire to raise awareness about the fight against cancer.
This incredible week united players, coaches, fans, and so many others to stand for those fighting this disease and remember those lost. Images from several basketball teams flooded in on Instagram. View the Coaches vs. Cancer Instagram page (with or without signing in) to see some memorable experiences from across the nation. If you do have an Instagram account, sign in to check out these highlight reels from Suits And Sneakers Week and the Sneaker Cam (a sneaker level view of the excitement), and follow the Coaches vs. Cancer page. Also, check-out ACS2Go for #SuitsAndSneakers photos from ACS staff.
A few highlights from Suits And Sneakers Week include:
- The Notre Dame Fighting Irish men’s basketball team designed personalized sneakers with shamrocks and blue butterflies with an RP on the back in memory of Rebecca Pflueger. Rebecca’s son, Rex Pflueger, plays on the Notre Dame men’s basketball team. Rex said, “my mom radiated positivity and love to everyone she has ever met.” Rebecca lost her battle with brain cancer in September 2019. The coaches and players wore these incredible shoes at the Syracuse-Notre Dame game on January 22. Watch here.
- Holly Rowe, ESPN reporter and cancer survivor received a very public emotional tribute. Before the start of the second half of the Oklahoma-Baylor game, broadcasters, coaches, players, and fans participated in a tribute organized by Coaches vs. Cancer. They held up signs with the words "I Fight For" on them, on which they had written the name(s) of a loved one. Many of them had written Holly's name on their card, including ESPN broadcasters Fran Fraschilla and Bob Wschusen. Holly's reaction is what you would expect. Watch here.
- The University of Minnesota Golden Gopher men’s basketball team visited with kids at the University of Minnesota Masonic Children’s Hospital. Their new friends helped decorate some special shoes for their coaching staff to wear at their game against Michigan State on Sunday, January 26. Giving back is at the heart of Coaches vs. Cancer Suits And Sneakers Week.
- The Sports Business Daily interviewed Sharon Byers, chief development, marketing, and communications officer, about her “weekend plans” in support of Coaches vs. Cancer Suits And Sneakers Week. She shared that coaches have raised more than $125 million for cancer research, education, and prevention through the Coaches vs. Cancer platform since its start. In addition to recognizing our NABC coaches, Sharon recognized our high school coaches and the wives of many of our coaches who support our mission.
- Again this year, Vineyard Vines created a Coaches vs. Cancer Tie. With the purchase of this tie, 30% of all sales benefit the Coaches vs. Cancer program. You might have even noticed coaches sporting this tie during Suits And Sneakers Week.
Thank you to all the coaches, players, and fans who made this a fun Suits And Sneakers Week!