This leading group of experts will guide our patient support efforts.
CEO Dr. Karen Knudsen has convened a group of the nation's leading patient support experts to form our new Patient Support Advisory Council.
Led by Otis Brawley, MD, Bloomberg Distinguished Professor of Oncology, Johns Hopkins University, and Greg Garber, MSW, LCSW, director of Oncology Supporter Services, Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, this group will evaluate our Patient Support pillar and help reimagine our direct support to patients undergoing cancer care.
Dr. Brawley's name will be familiar to many ACS volunteers and supporters. Before taking the job at Johns Hopkins in 2019, he served as the American Cancer Society's chief medical and scientific officer.
The Council represents the cancer continuum, with experts in medical oncology, oncology support, population health, caregiver and patient advocacy, health system administration, and public health.
Here are all members of the Patient Support Advisory Council:
Charter Members (from ACS)
- CEO Dr. Karen E. Knudsen, MBA, PhD
- Kael Reicin, MBA, chief financial officer
- Brant Woodward, interim senior EVP, Field Operations
- Laura Makaroff, MD, SVP, Prevention & Early Detection, Research & Implementation
- Chuck Westbrook, SVP, Cancer Control Programs & Services
- Jennifer Greenwald, MPH, VP, Mission Strategy ＆ Operations, Research & Implementation
Charter Members (external)
- Otis Brawley, MD, Bloomberg Distinguished Professor of Oncology, Johns Hopkins University
- Greg Garber, MSW LCSW, director of Oncology Support Services, Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia
- Electra Paskett, PhD, Marion N. Rowley Designated Chair in Cancer Research, Ohio State University
- Alex Khariton, RT, MBA, SVP of Oncology Services, Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center
- Terry Armstrong, caregiver/patient advocate
- Celeste Philip, MD, MPH, deputy director for non-infectious diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention