At its August meeting, the American Cancer Society Board of Directors elected officers and directors of the 2018 Board.
We welcome six new faces:
- Joseph A. Agresta, Jr. - president of Benzel-Busch Motor Car Corporation in Englewood, NJ
- Bruce N. Barron - partner and co-founder of Origin Ventures, an early-stage technology focused venture capital firm in Chicago
- Edward J. Benz, MD, FACP - president and chief executive officer emeritus of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston
- Nancy L. Birdwell - recently retired as the executive vice president and CEO of the Scott & White Healthcare Foundation in Temple, TX
- Michael T. Marquardt - founder and CEO of Global Kompass Strategies, Inc. consulting firm based in St. Petersburg, FL
- Gary Shedlin - senior managing director and chief financial officer of BlackRock, global investment management corporation based in New York City
Our 2018 Officers:
- Kevin J. Cullen, MD - Chair (pictured in the smaller image)
- Daniel P. Heist, CPA - Vice Chair
- Carmen E. Guerra, MD, MSCE, FACP - Board Scientific Officer
- John Alfonso, CPA, CGMA - Secretary/Treasurer
- Arnold M. Baskies, MD, FACS - Immediate Past Chair
Cullen is the director at the University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center in Baltimore, MD. He served on the former South Atlantic Division Board and has been a member of the American Cancer Society Board of Directors since 2009.
2018 Reelected Board members
- Carol Jackson
- Brian Marlow, CFA
- Greg L. Pemberton, Esq.
Thank you to our outgoing 2017 Board members:
- F. Daniel Armstrong, PhD
- Chau Dang, MS
- Lewis E. Foxhall, MD
- John W. Hamilton, DDS
- Susan D. Henry, LCSW
- Scarlott K. Mueller, MPH, RN'
As you may know, Scarlott is a longtime volunteer leader, and we are pleased to recognize her as an Honorary Life Member.
Directors are elected for a two-year term, and officers hold their position for a one-year term. The Board is responsible for setting policy, establishing long-term goals, monitoring general operations, and approving the organizational outcomes and allocation of resources.
For more details on the 16 Directors and five Officers, as well as their terms, read the 2018 Board Directory.
A press release will be available later this year to publicly announce our 2018 Board of Directors.