If you ever suspect that something illegal is going on with Society finances or records, we have a confidential hotline you can call to report it: 1-800-539-7202. Concerns also can be reported online.
The toll-free hotline and online site are answered and monitored by an independent party. They exist so current staff, former staff, and volunteers can confidentially report concerns related to internal financial controls, audit practices, accounting issues, and possible illegal activity.
Here are some specific examples of incidents that may warrant a call to the hotline:
- If you witness falsification or destruction of Society records.
- If someone asks you to overlook theft or misuse of donor contributions or monies received at special events.
- If someone is diverting assets for their personal use.
- If someone offers or you become aware of a kickback, e.g., money and/or services.
- If you witness a privacy or security breach of constituent data, e.g., mishandling, theft, loss, or improper disclosure of personal information.
- If you witness other violations of federal and/or state laws or regulations.
The 1-800-539-7202 hotline (as well as the website) is available 24 hours a day and, again, is managed by an independent organization.
Society policy forbids any retaliatory action be taken against an individual who, in good faith, makes a report.
Any individual who engages in retaliation will be subject to discipline, up to and including employee termination or removal of volunteer from his or her position. Individuals who feel that they are being or have been retaliated against should immediately report this to the hotline.